Cross Shard Locking Scheme - (1)

Let’s say you have a transaction T1 that needs access to two resources, located on two different shards, such that it needs to do the following operations:

1. LOCK (T1, R[0], S[0])
  2. LOCK (T1, R[1], S[1])

Then let’s say another transaction T2 comes in that wants access to the same resources:

1. LOCK (T2, R[0], S[0])
  2. LOCK (T2, R[1], S[1])

Then let’s say this is what actually gets executed:

1. LOCK (T1, R[0], S[0])
  2. LOCK (T2, R[1], S[1])

Now, neither T1 or T2 can proceed, hence deadlock.

Ah, I see. I think something like two-phase commit should solve this right? So expanding my proposal from above:

1. All desired resources R[1] … R[n] on shards S[1] … S[n] must be locked, and each lock generates a log that contains the transaction ID, target shard and the complete list of resources and shards needed; the tuple (tx ID, target shard, resource list) is called the “lock ID”.
  2. The log in shard S[i] needs to be included in all shards S[1] … S[n] except S[i] itself.
  3. Suppose that any shard S[i] receives an attempt to lock a resource, with lock ID L, but that resource is already locked. Then, shard S[i] issues a log that can be used in other shards to repeal any lock with lock ID L.
  4. Suppose that a shard S[i] discovers that it has received a notification of a lock of all resources R[1] … R[n], all with the same lock ID, and it does not see that any of those resources have been unlocked because of a conflict. Then, it issues a log confirming the locks, which can then be read by the target shard.
  5. If every shard S[1] … S[n] issues a confirmation log, then the target shard can execute the transaction, and issue logs containing the new state of every resource.

Yes, that’s almost how Sharded Byzantine Atomic Commit works, but these corner cases are accounted for. :slight_smile:

Ok, reading that paper now.

My current understanding is: if an attempt is made to lock a resource on some shard with some lock ID, and this attempt fails because the resource is already locked, then this issues a log that can be used to unlock any resources in other shards that were locked in the same lock ID. If a single shard receives notifications of logs from all shards, then it knows that there are no shards that could have issued a log that would repeal any of the other locks, and so it can safely publish a confirm message.

That sounds about right, I would add that a failed attempt to lock a resource on some shard with some lock ID, specifically means that some shard has produced a log to lock one of its resources to some shard ID, but another shard has produced a log to lock another resource required by the same lock ID, to another lock ID, thus deadlock. This is something that could happen if for example these two shards produce a block at the same time with conflicting locks. These two shards, upon receipt of a log from each other to show they have conflicting active locks, should release the locks in their respective lock IDs (abort transaction).

Given that shards have an honest majority, that would guarantee liveness of the protocol. To reduce the chance of repeated aborts (i.e. due to a malicious peer that is carefully timing the sending of conflicting transactions to different shards), we can perhaps add some non-enforced ‘etiquette’ consensus rules, for example, an implicit ordering can be applied on the set of shards, and if there were two previously aborted conflicting transactions, the shards will try again, sequencing the transaction that was locked by the shard with the highest order.