EVM performance

The security issue here is denial of service. Unless designed to prevented it compilers are subject to quadratic blowup. Fuzz testing of V8 by the eWasm team found that most contracts could be compiled in 100ms, but some “compiler bombs” could take 2 secs. So an attacker could use such bombs to create DoS attacks. (There are other vulnerabilities, such as caches of compiled code that can be defeated.)

Ethereum Core Devs Meeting 39 Notes, Concerns about wasm

4 Likes

I see … One could reject smartcontracts if they dont compile after certain number of cycles …

One could, but the wasm team doesn’t see that as an answer, since some compilers might choke and others not on the same input. Rather, we’ll need compilers that never take more than about n*log(n) time or space.

1 Like

Thanks for the input @gcolvin, I’m working on the integrating binaryen to EWASM’s hera Virtual Machine.

Hope these passes may be of useful reference with context: https://github.com/WebAssembly/binaryen/tree/master/src/passes

Happy to make notes & work on the performance down the line.

1 Like

I understand.

BTW - does a (possible) move to EWASM look like a bad thing to you from the point of security? It seems that currently EVM is simple and moving to EWASM introduces lots of things. Just based on a generic complexity lots of things mean lots of potent
ial security holes.

Another question is whats the point for Ethereum to move to EWASM at all? The network for the PoW chain is so slow at 15 transactions per second, that it seems that the best for the PoW chain is to stay with EVM as is. Whats the driver behind the move to EWASM?

2 Likes

@kladkogex

The desire for a faster VM is to stop the need for writing precompiled contracts. They only exist because the EVM isn’t fast enough, and/or charges too much gas. Secondarily, to let users do similar expensive crypto stuff that we didn’t put into a precompile for them.

Another reason for eWasm is the desire to reuse other work, so far as languages, compilers, VMs, IDEs etc.

The eWasm subset (not full-on Wasm) needn’t be a security issue, but it needs DoS-hardened compilers, just as a faster EVM would. Even at 15 TPS we’ve had at least two DoS attacks on the EVM: one due to mispricing EXP and another due to geth’s JIT going quadratic.

It’s looking likely that eWasm will continue as part of the shasper work, and I will restart my EIP-615 and EIP-616 work to get the EVM more formally tractable and performant on the main chain, with transpiling from EVM to eWasm providing a bridge.

2 Likes

I’m wondering the impact of Meltdown, Spectre and L1TF/Foreshadow mitigations: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-419-mitigations&num=1.

Much of the performance of VMs rely on efficient branch predictor, especially after improvement Haswell even on switch-based dispatch. Disabling speculative execution might make the EVM much slower.

The Phoronix benchmarks show horror stories of more than 20% performance lost on some benchmarks.

From what I’ve read it’s not at at all clear to me what impact the various patches will have on the EVM, or on the client as a whole The biggest losers on the benchmarks look to be things like process scheduling.

How does this balance with the fact that it will nuke our existing selection of tools, even though they are still young? Existing languages, compilers, etc. would also have to be adopted to the unique challenges of programming consensus-critical, immutable code in a different model than most general purpose languages leverage. How many of these languages have primitives for account-based transactional programming and atomic commitments?

I think it’s a fair assessment from a network liveness standpoint, but I interpret “security” in an immutable programming framework like ours as the ability to write this code well prior to deployment, as to avoid (as much as possible) any dangerous and unanticipated state changes that may alter ownership of funds and assets built into Ethereum. How does this new paradigm affect security from that perspective?

These are the kind of questions that keep me up sometimes, along with the shear complexity of analyzing the security model of a JIT VM to conduct proper code review for a high-value user. Many high end firms have WASM experience, but it may price the lower end of security reviews out of the market due the complexity of the anaylsis required. The simplicity of the EVM is very attractive to me for that reason, but it is a trade with tooling.

The longer we work on EVM, the more painful it will be to port over the ecosystem later.

1 Like

It will not nuke it, at least not Solidity. The plan is that the intermediate language of Solidity, Yul, will have an ewasm target.

Other languages are invited to use Yul as an intermediate output, Vyper could do that also :slight_smile:

1 Like

That works for Compilers!

How does that work for testing frameworks, formal analysis tools, semantic analyzers, etc.?

Edit: that was our plan with LLL

1 Like

Developing smart contracts is (or should be) 10% code, 90% validation and verification. Those are the tools I’m talking about.

2 Likes

@fubuloubu 80/20 or 90/10 is the rule of thumb across many domains.

The security of individual contracts is a matter of whether they do what they are intended to do. Verify, review, test… The simplicity or the EVM makes formal verification simpler, and I’m working to make it simpler still. eWasm is simple enough at this level as well, and technically EVM and eWasm can continue to evolve in parallel.

The security of the network is a matter of gas costs aligning well enough with actual client performance to not be DoS vectors. Our simple, battle-hardened EVM interpreters have the advantage there for now.

2 Likes

I agree that network security is a separate concern, and have confidence that it will be handled well to prevent DoS.

Compilers can be updated with hopefully minimal disruption to developers by substituting a new IR compilation process. This is assuming none of the fundamentals of using the EVM change (in a backwards-incompatible way).

Verification tools is a larger effort. Many tools manage their own model of the EVM and present that to the user for analysis, and if they have not created adequete abstraction this process could be painful for them and their users. We should account for it in any release schedule. K framework, Mythril, and Manticore are a few I have in mind, but many more exist.

Perhaps this is already accounted for, but we must have all the stakeholders aligned in advance of releasing eWASM so we all have time to add this ability to our projects and inform our users of how to migrate their code. This needs to happen regardless of whether Ethereum 1.0 ends up a subchain or not.

2 Likes

I have less confidence than you do that network security will be handled well, Bryant. Ethereum’s requirements are not the same as most other networks, and I think many client developers have yet to grapple with the implications.

I’m not sure which compilers it is you think can be updated easily. I think most all our EVMs are interpreters, and wouldn’t trust existing Wasm compilers with any kind of security.

As I understand it the EVM would not wind up a subchain anytime soon, as EVM code must keep running on the mainchain in order for the Shasper beacon chain to work. Further, every accessible EVM contract on the blockchain must keep running somewhere.

And indeed, verification is difficult, and porting verified EVM code to eWasm–and your specs and models and tools–might not be fun. It would easier to trust an evm2wasm compiler.

So I expect it will take a while for the community to sort out where all of this is going, and expect eWasm to expand the ecosystem rather than replace the EVM. Things have by no means all been accounted for–in many ways we are just getting started.

Reject and do what? Once the contract has been deployed you must execute it no matter how hard it is.

What currently looks promising for wasm are so called “baseline” JITs. These sacrifice optimization of the final machine code but are capable of performing verification and compilation in a single pass. Both SpiderMonkey (Firefox) and V8 (Chrome, nodejs) now have those.

We should have some number for Devcon.

I’m still not wanting to trust third-party Wasm VMs unless we can deal with the source well enough to be confident they aren’t vulnerable to attacks, and that we can rapidly fix attacks that slip past us. But I haven’t inspected the source.

Having lived for years inside an older Java VM I’d be amazed if recent ones weren’t huge attack surfaces, even the “baseline” parts. And I’d despair of fully understanding or safely modifying their source. How different Wasm VMs are I don’t know, but quadratic optimizations are vulnerable, hash tables are vulnerable, caches are vulnerable, and more.

4 Likes

You could arguably have a two stage deploy procedure, where you first deploy it, and then compile it. Compilation would be a pre-compiled smartcontract by itself.

1 Like

An easier option is to do optimizing compilation to Wasm code, then do simple code generation from the Wasm code. Wasm was designed for this.

@gcolvin nice find. I like the minimal memory footprint & shall be trying out optimisation of the wrc20 example contract’s wasm code.

I am guessing this “optimisation” is to be considered as a post-chiseling process?