Preparing withdrawals for compromised validator or withdrawal keys. FAO Zilm

If ever made (though it’s really difficult to make something like this), it would play against thousands of users who are going to participate in shared pools and other forms of validator/investor separation, which should be at first place for wide adoption, less centralization and less number of big whales.

I would recommend you to join #withdrawal-methods channel in Eth R&D Discord for further discussions.

1 Like

Hi Zilm, Thats the best news I have heard for a while, it means there is hope, I would happily pay towards this development, it could be optional so if needed the lock could be enabled, if 100 people needed this and were prepared to pay 10k each towards this, we could raise $1m towards this mod?

I will go to #withdrawal-methods and with luck discuss this more, I will also talk to my host who may also be very interested in this who may me able to talk further with their contacts.

Thanks for giving me hope Zilm, sending you good vibes, peace & love xx

I am happy to help fund this.

The #withdrawal-methods @jgm has discussed the option of a social mechanism where validators could optionally provide a text file to request what withdrawal address to allow. My eth2 validator key is compromised (I took notes, and forgot I took them… I am very ashamed) and I would strongly prefer requesting that the only allowed withdrawal address should be my eth1 deposit address (which is not compromised).

I can still sign messages with both my eth1 deposit key and eth2 key. The attacker cannot.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Ben, I know how you feel but sadly its more common than you think, mistakes happen in all walks of life, don’t beat yourself up, let’s just pray ETH devs come to our rescue.

If what JGM suggested can be done server side, that sounds pretty cool, we just need to be able to block the hacker. I like that idea if its a .txt file that is included server side, previous discussions have suggested giving power to host’s could be problematic, but I still think its a better option than allowing a breached key to be used, and if a host did abuse such powers which I personally think would be commercial suicide for them, they could be held legally accountable if they abused such power and could be held accountable & outted publicly so others know they are not a trustworthy host. I know for sure my host would never screw their customers and want to help! I am guessing 99.9% would not risk their reputation.

Good luck! wagmi

Thanks @TobesVibration. I came into blockchain to learn, and I still am. I am a solo hoster for 10 validators, and happy to put any mechanism to work on my beacon nodes and validators, and help fund the effort to build this for the community. I need help, but want to help too.

Was your eth1 deposit address keys AND the key associated your eth2 validator address also hacked? If not, it seems a proposed idea could be to create a “validator_address.txt” file that contains something like this (I am not an expert, but just trying to help)

{
“eth1deposit_address”: “0x06f2e9ce84d5e686428d361d91b437dc589a5163”,
“eth1deposit_msg”: “0x455448322052657475726e20546f2053656e646572”,
“eth1deposit_sig”: “e1e393e6dd403e05b2f7d8e234d0dc226551b21f61fe9b655d7b1792d4bc2e955aeb04c3de876d044ac7d6b9bed505fb6bde47f83ea3dce96aae13067e7c519e1c”,
“eth2validator_address”: “0xa03c5ea17b017cfad22b6030575c4452f20a4737393de16a616fb0a8b0555fe66472765720abec97e8922680204d3866”,
“eth2validator_msg”: "0x5f24e819400c6a8ee2bfc014343cd971b7eb707320025a7bcd83e621e26c35b7 ",
“eth2validator_sig”: “0xa2965dfd099dd0e44535c443d90c3b38016e43283a5aec5c0c7c04e94af89c0878bbc18b9f3f1bd5428ddd319c5d296717f741ce0e24fbbce1ae8fa77ba4a9f015a611bddf58f713e9a7aff022b87964a66cc26c3e8388c3707b10cc2ced4974”
}

If you can prove both eth1 and eth2 custody, you should be the rightful owner AND the only allowed withdrawal address should be set to the ETH1 deposit signature - this makes a “return to sender” feature. We could then ask clients to support importing these text files, optionally. It may help prevent attackers from being successful in withdrawing when enough beacon nodes start rejecting fraudulent withdrawals or change address to other address.

2 Likes

Worth expanding a little on the Discord post, and explaining what this suggestion is and what it is not.

The idea is to allow some way to provide a social consensus system that restricts the “change withdrawal credentials” operation for a given set of source withdrawal credentials to only be considered valid if they have a specific target withdrawal credential.

The change withdrawal credentials operation is not yet fully specified, but is likely to have at least the following fields:

• validator index
  • current withdrawal public key
  • proposed (execution layer) withdrawal address
  • signature by withdrawal private key over prior fields

In a situation where multiple users have access to the withdrawal private key it is impossible for the network to differentiate the “legitimate” holder of the key from the “illegitimate”. However, there are signals that could be considered in a wider sense. The most commonly cited one is that the legitimate holder is also in control of the execution layer deposit address, in which case the suggestion is to require the proposed withdrawal address to match the deposit address. This is not something that can be enforced in-protocol, partly due to lack of information on the beacon chain about the deposit address and partly due to the fact that this was never listed as a requirement so it is possible that deposit addresses will no longer be under the control of the legitimate holder of the withdrawal private key. But it may be possible for individual nodes to locally restrict the changes they wish to include in blocks they propose, and which they propagate around the network.

The proposal is as follows: beacon nodes take an additional parameter pointing to a file. That file contains multiple lines of the format withdrawal credentials,withdrawal address where each line is a restriction on the contents of withdrawal change operations. Specifically:

• if a node is presented with a withdrawal change operation via the REST API it will reject it if there is a line in the file that contains a matching withdrawal credentials and the related withdrawal address does not match that in the operation
  • if a node is presented with a withdrawal change operation via P2P it will drop it if there is a line in the file that contains a matching withdrawal credentials and the related withdrawal address does not match that in the operation

Note that these restrictions do not apply to withdrawal credential change operations in blocks. If an operation has been included on-chain it is by definition valid regardless of its contents.

It is critical to understand that this is not a consensus change. Nothing in this proposal restricts the validity of withdrawal credential change operations within the protocol. It is a voluntary change by client teams to build this functionality in to their beacon nodes, and a voluntary change by node operators to accept any or all of the restrictions suggested by end users.

Because of the above, even fully implemented it will be down to chance as to which validators propose blocks, and which voluntary restrictions those validators’ beacon nodes are running. Node operators can do what they will to help, but there are no guarantees of success. Those who wish to put time and resources in to building this or any similar proposal should be remain aware of this fact at all times.

I hope that I have made it clear that this is very much a voluntary effort on the part of all involved. I don’t see this being driven by anyone in the core dev team, as their focus will rightly be elsewhere. Those that are affected by this situation will need to organize and at the least get together a plan for doing the following:

• formalize the above in to a clear proposal of exactly what they want from client teams and node operators
  • approach the client teams regarding the feasibility of them doing the required work
  • approach the major node operators (i.e. staking services) regarding their requirements for adding entries to the list
  • build a list, with relevant proofs as required by the major node operators

The good news here is that the community as a whole will want to help those who have genuinely lost control of their withdrawal keys. But there will no doubt be contentious issues along the way, not least the general premise of what I am suggesting above. Again, at this point I suggest that those affected organize early and so are ready to present their best case to the client teams once they start to look at the capella hard fork.

(And for the record: I am not in the situation described above. I’m outlining this because it is the result of various conversations had on Discord and elsewhere with affected parties, and as an attempt to help them find a resolution. Equally, I am not championing or endorsing this proposal; that is up to those affected.)

3 Likes

Hi Jim, I am super grateful for your input and that also of Ben.

Ben, I am willing to do whatever I can to help, sadly I am not a coder, I have worked in Web for years HTML, CSS, SEO etc and have dabbled with Object-oriented Java programming and a tiny bit of PHP, but in fairness am a bit lost with blockchain, but will still do anything I can to help. I will pass this link to a friend later who has some underlying knowledge of building on Ethereum so he may be useful and may be able to help, would it be worth opening a private chat on Telegram?

I must confess that I fell for a scam on Telegram so since then I have been super wary of using the app, but somewhere to talk might make sense, or maybe we could start a new thread somewhere here where devs won’t get pinged all day long? I have access to a server so could setup a forum if that helped?

Let me know what you think Ben, I myself would be eternally indebted to you if your able to help find a solution, I am grateful that Jim has given some guidance as my efforts to find a solution did not go far as Jim has said Core Devs are too busy to get involved with this, and sadly to implement this fix we would need the community to agree I believe?

Let me know what I can do to help and I will do everything I can.

Tobes

If I understand @jgm 's proposal correctly, the file should only contain entries of people known to have been targeted.

I would instead propose that the file contains all withdrawal credentials, (first) deposit address combinations [0]. This would prevent:

• what I think will be a difficult process of targeted validators signing up to some centralized list [1]
  • the “withdrawal address” of this centralized list not actually being the deposit address. [2]

With the assumption that clients locally cache 0x00 → 0x01 messages they see, and can/will have an eviction policy for conflicting one, my proposed process is something like:

• run a script against your local EL to generate the txt, or download it through some centralized service
  • (indifferent to REST API. Could be no special action, could be to enforce a match with the txt file [3])
  • only rebroadcast P2P messages if it’s a credential change message for a validator that (1) is not yet in your storage or (2) already in your storage, but the message is different from the one you stored and its 0x01 credentials match those of the json/txt file. Of course in case 2 also overwrite whatever you have in storage.

The same “this is not part of consensus” restrictions/disclaimers apply as in @jgm 's proposal.

Also note that this proposal can be complementary to that of jgm, e.g. usable as a fallback method.

[0] Or only for 0x00 withdrawal credentials, as it doesn’t make much sense for 0x01. But them being in there as well doesn’t hurt.
[1] There’s also the thing of them maybe not wanting to announce they have been compromised, or think they have been compromised. Although the former case will come out eventually of course.
[2] If we can let people generate or verify a txt/json file locally against their own EL, that would address this particular issue.
[3] Enforcing a match is good for people that are somewhat uncertain they will correctly enter their withdrawal address to be their original deposit address I guess. Not sure it offers much over double-triple-quadruple checking it though, and it hinders those who want a different withdrawal address.

1 Like

Greatly appreciate @jgm guidance

@TobesVibration Contact me on telegram - my name is violinvivaldi. Let’s discuss ideas, and make a plan. What we need most is a simple document of the plan, and then allow submitters to upload their evidence to a repository such as github. We then need to contact the clients and staking pools to support this plan and show verifiable evidence and convince them to use it.

This isn’t just a feature for compromised users. If anyone used eth2cli before v1.2, we didn’t get an option to set --eth1_withdrawal_address. This feature may provide users one last chance for any reason to try to set a correct address (I would have definitely used this feature if I had it), and beg the validators to accept the facts before it is immutably recorded to the chain.

1 Like

The normal (proposed) operation of the change credentials operation will cover the above situation (and indeed is its whole purpose).

2 Likes

Are you suggesting the (proposed) operation that to do a withdrawal change it would require BOTH the original eth1 credentials (which I am certain my eth1 key has not been compromised) AND my eth2 mnemonic (which I am certain my eth2 seed phrase and 10 keys have all been compromised)?

Will we be allowed withdrawal address changes before withdrawals are allowed? This would give me ample time to fix the problem before any attacker withdraws by setting my 0x00 withdrawal addresses to a new 0x01 address.

If the withdrawal address change only requires ETH2 signature, or if the withdrawal change can only happen after withdrawals are also allowed, then I am afraid I am going to have to compete in the race against a very sophisticated attacker group. It appears the group came from a compromised GPU mining program I recently installed which used a command control malware to find its way into my NAS where the note and keys were accidentally stored (the mnemonic was never meant to be saved on a computer).

1 Like

The operation will only require the withdrawal private key, which is derived from the mnemonic.

As it stands, credentials will have to be changed before a withdrawal can take place. But this doesn’t buy you any time, as the attacker can change the at the same point in time as you.

Yes, you are. As mentioned above, there is no way that the protocol can differentiate between you and the entity that took your mnemonic. This is the reason why I’m proposing a social consensus system where you could can do the work in advance.

2 Likes

Got it. Let the race begin. Thank you, again. I will start documenting the social mechanisms outlined for those of us impacted/suspected impacted to plea for validator help to consider in a github project. The list will be manually moderated, but independently verifiable. I don’t think I can help anyone who lost their keys or seed, but for those of us compromised or concerned they may be, it may help give an edge.

1 Like

Hi. I am the founder of Allnodes. We host a lot of Ethereum 2.0 nodes and I have met a lot of people who exposed their keys to scammers and even who completely lost access to their withdrawal keys. I am sure that we should help these people.

Solution that I propose:

You can execute transaction to change withdrawal credentials from these wallets:

1. Initial deposit address (this transaction can be reverted using current withdrawal address and withdrawal key can be changed only to initial deposit address).
  2. Current withdrawal address (this transaction cannot be reverted, but withdrawal key can be changed only to initial deposit address).

Because of possible revert option these transactions should be possible to execute long before withdrawals are enabled.

Whom this solution will help:

1. Those who lost access to their withdrawal keys.
  2. Those who’s withdrawal keys were breached.

Thank you for your time.

Hi Seph and Allnodes team,

It is wonderful of you to have joined the discussion. Many thanks. However I am thinking you may have scrolled back in our chat at allnodes.com and clicked an old link, I did send you a link via email to a GitHub proposal where this topic has been worked on significantly since this thread. I have sent you the link again via the allnodes.com chat. I hope you can find the time to check it out as it will probably answer many questions you may have, and with luck the Devs and yourself can continue the discussion on the Discord group which I will ask @benjaminchodroff to pass you/me an invite that I can pass to you.

I am super grateful you made the effort to chime into the discussion, when you read the GitHub proposal I think you will see the Devs have come up with something quite special. Consensus Layer Withdrawal Protection.

My understanding is the EIP needs to be reviewed and there is still chance for some changes. It is a very important proposal, and sounds like you agree it could potentially save hundreds of millions of $ of ETH.

Thanks kindly for taking a look and your help.

Tobes

@3eph1r0th Really appreciate your support from Allnodes. I fully agree that there are many users who are either aware or even unaware their validator mnemonic has been compromised.

I have documented the suggestions from the developers into a draft proposal, which covers your suggestions. None of the proposal changes consensus. Instead, we have suggested mechanisms which favors (not guarantees) legitimate users can likely win through voluntary node operator behavior. This includes using Initial Deposit Address as a tiebreaker for any race conditions, asking clients to voluntarily delay rebroadcasting change addresses which do not match the deposit address, filter rebroadcasting messages which do not match the intended signed change withdrawal address, and providing a mechanism to broadcast signed change address messages to any address on the first available block.

Draft Proposal:

I am now working to rework this proposal into the EIP template, review with Ethereum Cat Herders for feedback, and get more developer feedback. I hope to eventually create a client which demonstrates these ideas in action. If anyone can point me to a client codebase which already supports the change withdrawal address operation, I will try to make a pull request against it.

Anyone can reach out to me via github, or my discord is @benjaminchodroff#5260. I appreciate any feedback and help.

I have submitted an EIP pull request: https://github.com/ethereum/EIPs/pull/4736

Ongoing EIP discussion will happen here: Consensus Layer Withdrawal Protection - EIPs - Fellowship of Ethereum Magicians

I appreciate any help or feedback.

Hey @benjaminchodroff, it’s almost a full year after you posted this reply and I’m stuck in a similar situation as both my eth1 Deposit address keys and the eth2 validator address are compromised. I have messaged you on your website and on LinkedIn as well so please excuse my persistence as I’m very stressed out over the threat of losing my 32eth stake. I’m doing the best I can to educate myself on EIP-4736 and any other related topic but I’m not really sure how to proceed. I want to ensure I beat the hackers to the withdraw when they are finally enabled. I may be at a disadvantage because I have no prior coding experience (I’m using a Plug & Play validator). Is there anything I can do now to prepare myself in the race for my staked eth?

1 Like

Hi @Tex419 - glad we were able to connect. CLWP has already received hundreds of validators that have been compromised by all number of reasons - hackers, scammers, nation state espionage, bankrupt companies, ex-girlfriends. I hope we can try to help, but I’d encourage getting involved and helping us out too.

I am writing a presentation on Consensus Layer Withdrawal Protection (CLWP) - an optional way for Ethereum Validators to broadcast their set withdrawal address as early as possible to a social community of nodes. I’d greatly appreciate any feedback. CLWP Overview - Google Slides

I will make a video demo of the process later this week.

1 Like

Ben, you are a legend. Just to confirm to Tex, sorry if you messaged us over christmas period and we did not get back to you, did you message us from www.clwp.xyz?

Anyway, Ben and JGM seem to have the solution, I am currently fumbling away to be the test dummy, feel free to follow our twitter page over the next few days and we will try and demonstrate the process, and while we do that I will learn from my mistakes so to help build a water tight tutorial with Bens help. We are on the case and will be very happy if we can help you and others.

Bare in mind I am running the twitter page https://twitter.com/EthCLWP , so sorry for the random posts, I just cant help myself, Twitter is crazy addictive, but never the less we are on the case, so please keep a close eye, lets see if I can follow Bens instructions over the next few days and with luck we will have full instructions very soon!

All the best

1 Like