Batching proofs for several Dapps into a single succinct proof

The Fact Registry Contract Design Pattern

Lior Goldberg (@liorgold2) & Michael Riabzev

tl;dr:

Today any application that wants to use a succinct proof system to reduce gas costs has to have some minimal bandwidth. This is due to overheads induced by proof transmission and verification. We propose a contract design pattern in which claims from several different applications may be batched in one large proof. Thus even low bandwidth Dapps may profit from the low (amortized) gas cost made available by succinct proofs.

Introduction

In this post we introduce a design pattern for smart-contracts, which we call the Fact Registry Contract pattern, or, simply Registry Contract. This pattern provides a way to separate the verification of a statement from the application that relies on its validity.

The idea is to write a separate contract whose sole purpose is to validate and record elements that satisfy this statement. A statement is defined by a predicate P(x, witness) that gets an element x and some auxiliary information witness and returns either True or False. We will refer to x as a fact, if some witness is known to someone such that P returns True.

Some examples of statements include:

1. isComposite(x, witness) returns True if and only if x is a composite number. The witness is a divisor of x.
  2. merkleLeaf((leaf, root), witness) returns True if and only if leaf is a leaf in some Merkle tree with root root. The witness is the relevant authentication path in the tree.
  3. signedText((text, public_key), witness) returns True if and only if text appears in some document signed by public_key. The witness is a document containing the text along with its signature.

Checking the above statements may be required as part of some application contract. The common way to deal with such predicates is to write a function inside the application contract and to pass the witness in the calldata of the transaction.

However, in some cases a better approach would be to write a dedicated registry contract. A registry contract is a contract that maintains a set of previously witnessed facts (kept on Ethereum’s storage) and has two methods: add() and isValid(). The add(fact, witness) method adds the fact to the set, provided that the statement holds. The isValid(fact) method simply returns True if the fact is in the set.

In many cases, the size of a fact (excluding the witness) is larger than 32 bytes. In such cases, it is better to maintain the set of hashes of previously witnessed facts, instead of the facts themselves.

Notice that if isValid(fact) returns True, this implies that not only there exists a witness satisfying the predicate, but also that such a witness was presented previously to the contract. As such, the isValid() method serves as a proof of knowledge.

Figure 1: The data flow, divided into phases. In phase (1) the fact and the corresponding witness are passed to the registry contract, which verifies validity and adds the fact to the set. In phase (2) when the application contract is invoked, it calls the registry contract to check the validity of the fact.

When to Use Registry Contracts?

Using a registry contract introduces several overheads compared to the monolithic solution of using a function inside the application contract:

1. One storage operation for every validated fact, resulting from adding the fact to the on-chain set.
  2. Transmitting the facts several times: once for the registry contract, and once for every application contract using it.
  3. Inter-contract communication while querying the registry contract for fact validity.

When the total cost (computation and calldata) of verifying the statement is low, using registry contracts may add a non-negligible overhead in gas cost and in such a case the monolithic solution is better.
However, when the cost of verification is high, these overheads become negligible and there are many advantages to using the proposed design pattern:

1. Clean separation between the application contract and the registry contract, including the ability to upgrade one without changing the other.
  2. Splitting the gas cost over more than one transaction. This is useful when you encounter a situation where the gas cost required for the entire operation is greater than the block limit.
  3. Splitting the gas cost between different parties. This is useful when one party should pay for verifying the statement and another party should pay for the application contract referencing the validated fact.
  4. Reusing a fact many times (i.e., caching), by different transactions in a single contract, or by different contracts.
  5. Economies of Scale: by using a succinct proof system, such as STARK, SNARK or BulletProofs, it is possible to verify a batch of facts using considerably less gas than the total amount of gas required for verifying each fact separately. Thus, different contracts relying on the same statement (not even the same data!) can benefit from massive economies of scale.

Let us elaborate more on this very last benefit, which we view as having tremendous potential.

Batching with Succinct Proofs of Knowledge

In the examples above, the gas cost of validating facts was additive, in the sense that the gas cost required for validating multiple facts was (approximately) equal to the sum of the costs required for validating the facts separately. However, there are techniques that reduce the amount of gas for validating (or ‘verifying’, in the parlance of proof systems) a batch of facts. For example, succinct proofs of knowledge (like STARKs) allow proving that a certain computation has a given result, with a sublinear cost in the computation size. In particular, proving many facts together is cheaper than the total cost of proving each fact separately.

Consider a registry contract for merkleLeaf() mentioned above. If we extend the function add() to get a batch of new facts (i.e., a list of pairs (leaf, root)), we can check their validity by verifying a succinct proof attesting to the entire batch, instead of checking the authentication path for each and every fact. Note that the authentication paths are not transmitted at all in this case. As the number of facts added to one batch increases, the amortized gas cost per fact decreases (in modern succinct proof systems, the gas cost required for verifying a proof, excluding some small linear cost required for handling the public input, increases (poly-)logarithmically with the batch size).

Succinct proof systems have an efficiency threshold: there is a minimal computational cost associated with verifying a proof, and so it does not make economic sense to generate proofs for batches that fall below a minimum size. Thus, low-bandwidth contracts cannot use such batching mechanisms and gain from their advantages. Registry contracts lower this efficiency threshold by allowing us to gather facts from different applications and place them in one batch. This way, low-bandwidth contracts may benefit from participating in such batches, saving on gas required for fact verification and consequently enabling economies of scale.

9 Likes

Without digging so much in the contract design, I had a similar idea in: Reducing the verification cost of a SNARK through hierarchical aggregation.

I am really interested in those questions and I also think that using registry contract for proofs and verification keys are the best way to benefits from efficient multi-verification as you described in your.

However, I have a few comments,

In case you are using proof composition (SNARKs or STARKs) or using mpc batchproof construction (Bulletproof), you can even optimize the storage by only requiring the user application to store a Hash of the proof that was batch verified. But then you need a third party to compute the aggregate proof and post it on the registry contract.

Also, there is a point I am not sure I have understood correctly. In case you are using Groth16, Sonic (using you are the using the batch-verificication), what is the mechanism to trigger batch verification ?

It seems not trivial to me, because if you let user decide to trigger the batch verification (and be rewarded for that) then you have a Nash Equilibrium at the point (Cost of verifying a batch) - Reward == 0

Hi @AlexandreBelling,
I think the approaches are a bit different. Both in the post you are referencing, and in your question, you are focused on proof-composition. The Fact-Registry pattern does not imply proof-composition. When it is used with STARK proofs to batch many facts together, it is only to verify them all with a single proof (a single proof having multiple public inputs, one for each fact). For example, there could be many Merkle facts of the form (leaf,root) where if one wants to verify each of them separately (both using authentication paths, or with dedicated proofs) the cost would be dominated by the cost of verifying the witness (authentication path or proof), and thus would be multiplied by the number of facts needed to be verified. One could generate a single proof prooving all facts together, thus reducing the dominating cost to a single proof verification. As proof verification cost is poly-logarithmic with the number of facts proven (excluding the relatively low cost required to handle each public input), it can become negligible (amortized), introducing a great improvement in facts verification cost.
Using the Fact-Registry pattern batches can include facts required by many different DApps, allowing even DApps having low bandwidth to enjoy from this cost reduction.

Well the maths behind SNARK proof composition and STARK IVC may be differents (although not so much in fact …) but from a pure smart-contract design perspective the problem is the same. The only things that is going to change is the size of the proofs and the verifier algorithm. For the rest, the scenario is:

• Many users post their proof for their applications on the registry contract
  • Someone comes up with a composed/PCDed/aggregated proof of a batch of submitted proofs and verifies it on the registry contract.
  • User’s application can internal-call the registry contract for very cheap to check their proof.

And so, without assuming what sort of proof composition/PCD/aggregation/IVC algorithm you want to use, my question was more: Who is going to perform that composition/PCD/aggregation/IVC ?

Hi @AlexandreBelling, if I understand correctly, you refer to making a proof of knowledge of other proofs. This is not what the Fact-Registry pattern suggests. The pattern suggests creating one large proof for many facts (not proofs) - thus proof composition is not required.
You also mentioned users posting their facts directly to the Registry Contract, this is not necessary, as it is possible to send the facts off-chain to some service responsible for batching and generating proofs.

1 Like

Oh ok, that’s the point I was missing in your post :slight_smile: It answers my question then