Data Unavailability Unconference @Devcon4

Hi everyone, our team at Lucidity is interested.

We’ve recently introduced our mechanism called Plasma Bank for non-custodial fund management with a sidechain that has generalized state transitions.

Would love to chat more and learn from everyone!

1 Like

Guys - have you found a place for this ? If not, we (Skale Labs) could sponsor it …

If schedule works out would like to attend but as a silent observer. I am the Principal Solution Architect for a non-financial related fortune 100. While you all are participating parties on development, engineering and ultimately future state design of the platform and associated tool structure, I would be considered a proxy product owner, responsible for building potential tools/dapps to meet customer requirements leveraging the public permissionless protocol.

I love all of you, but engineers in a vacuum have a potential to pontificate on technical specifications that are the 10% issue vs the 90% minium set. I am interested in the MVP (minimum viable product) aspect of things to start tactical testnets that could prove potential future implementations … but need an basic understanding technically where things are at.

Cheers and see some of you in Prague.

Hey everyone,

Added a poll in the OP regarding date (@philosopher, @skilesare). Please fill it asap so we can book a venue. Perhaps @kladkogex can help with this?

Here’s a tentative format:

• Unconference lasts ~1/2 a day
  • Single, large round table (ideally we are under 30 participants)
  • Short presentations (~10 mins) by interested parties followed by discussion (20-30 mins)
  • Presentation should present the system used, why data availability is a problem in this context and the solution being used for now (if any).
  • Presentations are sorted by topic similarities to optimize discussion flow

The focus should be on discussions and not on presentations, where presentations should simply provide content to be discussed. We could also record the event, if participants are interested.

Please comment on this format below.

Thanks for the interest! I would personally love to allow everyone in, but current format might restrict number of attendances, in which case priority would be given to people that will participate in the discussions and research.

That being said, if we don’t reach the quota (perhaps 30-40 people), you would be more than welcomed! Otherwise, we are thinking about recording the whole event (or at least some of the presentations), so there is always the possibility of learning about the current state of things this way without being physically present.

Completely understandable and with limited seating and given the subject matter, probably best to have contributing parties to the research have priority. The perspective I would be bringing would be from implementation when pertaining to ideal real world use cases of the application layer that would be consuming the services provided on the infrastructure design you are planning. While they would not have a direct correlation, specifically, it may give some level of insight to extecential use cases that are not shrouded in the typical fiduciary use cases.

I will keep track of the thread and see if the planets align on participating. Cheers

I’m going to go ahead and remove my name from the list of attendees. Don’t know how to do that, but that should open up a seat. Cheers.

1 Like

I voted for Oct 27 since our team is going to be there for status hackaton

We will check for alternative venues … it looks like there is a co-working space near the convention center that has conference rooms for rent

http://k10.online/en/

1 Like

I would like to join the workshop as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

It seems like there is no good way to notify people in this tread, so I will try to ping everyone that expressed interest so far : @josojo @kladkogex @bitsbetrippin @therevoltingx @philosopher @johba @liam @nginnever @yondonfu @vitaliygataulin

We are trying to finalize the details for this unconference, so please read the following :

• If you haven’t done it already, please vote for best date to hold this event in the original post
  • If you can’t attend, please let us know as soon as possible

Considering the current format, we would ask people interested in participating to make a brief presentation. Not everyone needs to present, but hopefully we should have enough. Presentations should …

• Last around 10 minutes
  • Present the system used
  • Explain why data availability is a problem in this context
  • Explain the solution being used for now (if any)

If you want to present, please briefly describe your presentation. Again, this is an unconference and the presentation are really only a mean to provide content for the discussions. Please try to tell us if you want to make a presentation by commenting below, before October 22nd.

Lastly, a poll on whether you want this event to be filmed or not :

• I am OK with the entire event being recorded (video & audio)
  • I am OK with only the presentations being recorded, but not the discussions
  • I do not want my presentation to be filmed, but others are OK
  • I do not want anything to be recorded, but written transcripts are OK
  • No recording nor transcripts.

0 voters

I can only ping 10 users max per post, sorry for the spam :frowning: : @skilesare @barryWhiteHat @gakonst @mkoeppelmann @yahgwai @gluk64 @ChainSafe @terence

My personal preference is the 2nd or 29th. There will be two of us attending.

Thanks!
Miguel.

I am also interested in joining. From our team martin and alex are already participating. In case there is more demand than supply, I would opt out.

I’d like to join the meeting. Particular interest in Plasma.

I wanted to drop in and say that the last day of devcon (nov 2) will be a full day of substantial content and not just dedicated to sponsor talks.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input @djrtwo! Looks like 27th & 28th are the most likely dates. Want to attend by the way? Your insights from your work on sharding would be valuable :).

I’d also be interested. Thanks for the initiative @PhABC.

I am working on Lighthouse (Eth 2.0 impl).

Would love to join the conversation if there’s space. I will be helping with FEM Council of Prague, so 28-29 is out for me if those are the dates chosen. I’ll be in Prague the afternoon of the 26th, so 27th works for me (so does the 3rd)

1 Like

Hello everybody,

@fraetz and me @gamalschmuck would like to join in.

We are currently evaluating Plasma for scaling purposes for our project. It is hence highly relevant for us to join your discussion. We would like to bring our suggestions and ideas to the topic of data availability.

Regarding the date, we can come either on October 27th, 28th or on November 3d. We might be able to come on November 2th, but we can’t guarantee.

Best regards,
Gamal

We (@sourabhniyogi, @mkchung from Wolk) developed a Plasma Cash implementation + erasure coding system and can attend on Nov 2+3 (only). Our Wolk solution to data availability has been to follow Vitalik’s intuitions and develop erasure coding in an L1 decentralized storage blockchain (designed to be durable and low-latency) and compare it to Ethereum SWARM + IPFS/Filecoin designs. I’m hoping to share what we’re developing and that people can teach us why publishing L2 state in decentralized chunk storage isn’t enough.

For those who believe properly-decentralized Plasma [more generally: L2] should use Ethereum SWARM [more generally: decentralized storage with erasure coding], SWARM is having a mini-summit on 10/29
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/swarm-mini-summit-prague-tickets-50685451550
https://hackmd.io/s/HyFVEgxc7
Hope to see some of you here or there!

1 Like