Fast cross-shard transfers via optimistic receipt roots

TLDR: given a base layer blockchain that offers slow asynchronous cross-shard transactions, we can emulate fast asynchronous cross-shard transactions as a layer on top.

This is done by storing “conditional states”, for example if Bob has 50 coins on shard B, and Alice sends 20 coins to Bob from shard A, but shard B does not yet know the state of shard A and so cannot fully authenticate the transfer, Bob’s account state temporarily becomes “70 coins if the transfer from Alice is genuine, else 50 coins”. Clients that have the ability to authenticate shard A and shard B can be sure of the “finality” of the transfer (ie. the fact that Bob’s account state will eventually resolve to 70 coins once the transfer can be verified inside the chain) almost immediately, and so their wallets can simply act like Bob already has the 70 coins.

Furthermore, Bob has the ability to send the received coins to Charlie almost immediately, though Charlie’s wallet would also need to be able to authenticate shard A to verify the payment.

Assumptions

• We assume an underlying blockchain where asynchronous cross-shard calls are done with “receipts” (eg. which ethereum 2.0 phase 2 is). That is, to send coins from shard A to shard B, the transaction on shard A “destroys” the coins but saves a record containing the destination shard, address and value sent. The record can be proven with a Merkle branch terminating in the state root of shard A,. After some delay each shard learns the state roots of all other shards, at which point the receipt can be included into shard B, its validity verified, and the coins “destroyed” in shard A can be “recovered” in shard B (this mechanism can be generalized beyond sending coins to asynchronous messages in general).
  • To simplify things, instead of considering separate state roots for each shard, we talk about global state roots, which are root hashes of the state roots for each shard (ie. merkle_root([get_state_root(shard=0), ... , get_state_root(shard=SHARD_COUNT-1)])). We assume the beacon chain computes and saves these global state roots with a delay or roughly 1-2 epochs in the normal case but potentially longer (they can be computed from crosslink data once crosslinks for all shards are submitted); once the beacon chain has calculates global state roots up to some height, all shards have access to these roots.
  • These exists some “optimistic” way of discovering probable global receipt roots more quickly than the in-protocol discovery delay; this mechanism need only work “most of the time”. Most crudely, this could be a prediction-market mechanism where the side that stakes the most funds on some root wins, but it also could be some kind of light-client design, where shards discover roots of other shards via a committee mechanism and after log(n) steps shard 0 discovers the global state root, which can then be verified by any other shard.
  • Each shard maintains a list expected_roots, which equals the global state roots in the beacon chain plus predicted newer state roots. This list can change in two ways: (i) a new predicted root can be added to the end, and (ii) the last N roots can be replaced if the prediction mechanism changes its mind about some of the unconfirmed roots.

Confirmed roots: blue, predicted but not confirmed roots: yellow. Over time new optimistic roots get added (and sometimes removed), and the confirmed roots follow from behind.

The mechanism

• For every account, we store multiple states (for a simple currency, a “state” might be balance and nonce; for a smart contract system it can be more complicated). Each state has one yes dependency and zero or more no dependencies. A dependency is a (slot, root) pair, effectively saying “the global root at slot X is Y” . A state is called “active” if its yes dependency is in the expected_roots list, and none of its no dependencies are.
  • A transaction must specify a dependency, and it is only valid if its dependency is (i) in the expected_roots list, (ii) equal to or newer than the yes dependencies of all the accounts it touches, and (iii) all account states it touches are active.
  • For each account that the transaction touches:
    • If the transaction’s dependency simply equals the yes dependency of the account, then the state of the account is simply edited in place
    • If the transaction’s dependency is newer, then the state is edited and the dependency is updated to equal the newer dependency, but an “alternate state” is created with the yes dependency equaling that of the old state, the no dependency list being that of the no state plus the dependency of the transaction, and the state being the same as the old state.

To give an analogy, suppose there is an account Alice with state “50 coins if the monkey is at least 4 feet tall but the bear is not European”, and we receive a transaction that gives Alice 10 coins with a dependency “the monkey is at least 5 feet tall”. The new state of the account becomes “60 coins if the monkey is at least 5 feet tall but the bear is not European” but we add an alternate state “50 coins if the monkey is at least 4 feet tall but the monkey is less than 5 feet tall and the bear is not European”.

• In the case that the main state is no longer active due to a reverted expected_roots entry, there is a reorg operation that can move an alternate state that is active into the “main state” position and the main state into an alternate state position.

For example, if it turns out that the monkey in the previous example is actually 4.5 feet tall, the newly created alternate state above in which Alice still has 50 coins can be reorged into the main state position and it would be active.

Example

To illustrate the above with another example, suppose there was an account Bob with 50 coins with a yes dependency (1, DEF) and no no dependencies (write this as {yes: (1, DEF), no: [], balance: 50}, and suppose the expected_roots list equals [ABC, DEF]. Now:

• A transaction comes in with dependency (1, DEF) sending Bob 10 coins. All that happens here is that Bob’s state becomes {yes: (1, DEF), no: [], balance: 60}
  • A transaction comes in with dependency (2, MOO) sending Bob 10 coins. This gets rejected because (2, MOO) is not in the expected_roots
  • The expected_roots extends to [ABC, DEF, GHI]. A transaction comes in with dependency (2, GHI) sending Bob 20 coins. Bob’s state becomes {yes: (2, GHI), no: [], balance: 80} but we add an alt-state {yes: (1, DEF), no: [(2, GHI)], balance: 60}
  • (2, GHI) gets reverted, and (2, GHJ) gets added. Bob’s state is no longer “active”.
  • Suppose (3, KLM) gets added, and Charlie receives 1 coin. Charlie’s state is now {yes: (3, KLM), no: [], balance: 5}
  • Suppose (4, NOP) then gets added.
  • If Bob wants to send 5 coins to Charlie, Bob can send a transaction to perform a reorg, which sets his state to {yes: (1, DEF), no: [(2, GHI)], balance: 60} and his alt-states to [{yes: (2, GHI), no: [], balance: 80}], and then send a transaction with dependency (3, KLM) (he could also make the dependency (4, NOP) but this is not necessary). Now, Bob’s state becomes {yes: (3, KLM), no: [(2, GHI)], balance: 55} with alt-states [{yes: (2, GHI), no: [], balance: 80}], {yes: (1, DEF), no: [(3, KLM)], balance: 60}], and Charlie’s state becomes {yes: (3, KLM), no: [], balance: 5}]

The above is a simplification; in practice, nonces and used-receipt bitfields also need to be put into these conditional data structures. Particularly, note that if transactions’ effects get reverted due to expected_roots entries being reverted, the transactions can usually be replayed.

Implementation

Here is an implementation in python of a basic version dealing only with balance transfers:

Generalizations

• This technique can likely be extended to synchronous cross shard calls, though the challenges there are greater.
  • This technique can also be used for fast inter-blockchain communication.
  • This technique can be used to handle forms of delayed verification other than those at consensus layer. For example, if there is a prediction market on whether or not Bob won the election, and a community of users agrees that Bob did win the election, but the on-chain resolution game is delayed by 3 weeks for security reasons, then this technique can be used to allow “ETH if Bob wins the election” tokens to be used as ether within that community even before the consensus layer finalizes the operation.
  • More granular expected root structures can be considered to reduce the inherent “fragility” in this mechanism where if even one shard reorgs, the expected global state root changes and so almost everything gets reverted.
4 Likes

Very interesting, will have to ponder this a bit more, but seems similar to an idea I was having about dependency chains in a transaction, and how they get resolved.

When the idea evolves into more general state transitions, it would be interesting to have a 3+ shard transaction, and show the scenarios under which it will resolve yes (only 1 scenario I think) and no (2**num_shard_dependancies - 1 I think). I think it will show that each additional cross-shard call will exponentially reduce the likelihood that it will be fully confirmed without the dependencies failing mid-resolution of the transaction.

This model will encourage co-location of contracts with dependant contracts on same (or “close”) shards to avoid having too many shard dependencies risking failure of transaction on reorgs. However, I fear this model may also add a “front-running” opportunity on the secondary shards in the transaction encouraging Validators to reorg (but I don’t see another way to avoid that).

When the idea evolves into more general state transitions, it would be interesting to have a 3+ shard transaction, and show the scenarios under which it will resolve yes (only 1 scenario I think) and no ( 2**num_shard_dependancies - 1 I think). I think it will show that each additional cross-shard call will exponentially reduce the likelihood that it will be fully confirmed without the dependencies failing mid-resolution of the transaction.

The design as written above has only a single source of dependencies: the ever-lengthening list of global roots. So there’s only O(N) possible dependencies that a state object can have, and the dependencies of most state objects should be similar.

Though I do agree that more complex implementations may lose this property.

However, I fear this model may also add a “front-running” opportunity on the secondary shards in the transaction encouraging Validators to reorg (but I don’t see another way to avoid that).

I agree that this makes reorgs in general more consequential and hence more risky; I don’t really see a way around that beyond making sure the committees are large enough.

1 Like

Who/what exactly and after which point recovers the coins in shard B (real coins, not in dependency form)?

Furthermore, what is the difference between the main and the active state?

That’s a good question! I didn’t mention it in the original post, but the mechanism is this. An account can generate a receipt sending coins to some address, and the receipt’s dependencies would be set to be the same as those of the account. Eventually, each of those dependencies would be either confirmed or disconfirmed. If/when all of the dependencies are confirmed, the receipt can be published to chain, and a contract that holds the underlying ETH would send the ETH to the desired address.

Furthermore, what is the difference between the main and the active state?

I think in the post I use the two terms interchangeably.

How would one generalize this to optimistic messages if the sender of the message isn’t the original account but that contract since the execution of the message can depend on the address of the sender?

It could probably be done by allowing alias transactions which are sent in the name of the original sender (assuming the proof is provided) and do not differ from the original transactions on the protocol level, but this would require modifications to L1.

I don’t think the mechanism is specific to messages where the sender is the original account. Basically, there’s a function call that you can use to make a receipt that will be claimable for ETH, and this could be called by user accounts or smart contracts. For things other than ETH, the idea is that those would only exist inside the context of one of these layer-2 execution games anyway, so there would be no need to “export” them.

I was rewatching @barryWhiteHat’s Scaling Ethereum talk and he described an optimistic system in which a third party “buys” a cross shard receipt from the user on the destination chain. I haven’t seen any formal proposals around this, but it seems like an interesting approach IMO. There are a couple desirable properties:

• immediate finality (no dependency cone)
  • better UX (dependent assets don’t mysteriously disappear in shard fork)
  • simpler EE-level changes (no storing / maintaining the dependency cone)
  • no need for EE to care about probable global receipt roots (buyer does this)

The first two heavily rely on the receipt buyer taking on the risk of the originating chain forking before the receipt is cross linked. Depending on the amount of forking on the shard chain and # of confirmations the buyer waits for before offering to buy, this approach may or may not make sense. Also, it’s important to note that if the receipt has no value to the buyer (i.e. state movement) there would need to be some sort of payment coupled with the transaction.

If the fee provided by the sender is too low there’s possibility that receipt never gets included by the the third party. This could be mitigated by making fees increase over time.

The following proposal tries to combine the “fees increasing over time” with the fixed fee model:

There is a global pool of third party operators which stake certain amount prior to validating.
Transaction’s fee on the destination shard is proportional to the block difference between inclusion on the destination minus the source shard.
When transaction finally gets included, the submitter gets the full fee (standard fee + temporal part).
This temporal part of the fee is taken from the pool and everyone’s stake is decreased proportionally to the amount staked.
Third party operator can leave by withdrawing his stake at any time.

This is zero-sum game from the pool’s perspective but increases the expected individual profit.

It that possible to have circular dependency ?

Could you possibly expand on using this for inter-blockchain communication? Dont think L1s offer a native slow asynchronous cross-shard transaction model that we can build on top of.