Galois: a JavaScript/WASM library for finite field arithmetic

I originally wrote this library for the genSTARK project, but it evolved into a pretty nifty stand-alone module. The library is here:

High-level features are:

• Basic modular arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication, inversion, exponentiation).
  • Bulk operations on vectors and matrixes.
  • Basic polynomial operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
  • Polynomial evaluation and interpolation (using Lagrange and FFT methods).

At this point, only prime fields are supported.

WebAssembly optimization

One of the cool features of the library is a flexible optimization architecture. It is pretty simple to write optimization modules for different types of fields.

So far, I wrote an optimization module in WASM for 128-bit prime fields with modulus of the form 2^{128}-k, where k < 2^{64}.This resulted in the overall speed of up to 6x - 10x as compared to native JavaScript implementation. Here are some high-level benchmarks run on Intel Core i5-7300U @ 2.60GHz (single thread):

Operations/sec JS BigInt (256-bit) JS BigInt (128-bit) WASM (128-bit)
Additions 3,200,000 5,000,000 44,000,000
Multiplications 950,000 1,850,000 16,300,000
Exponentiations 3,200 10,500 97,000

WASM performance can be optimized further. Specifically, SIMD and multi-threaded evaluation is something that I’m planning to implement at some point in the future (once support for these in WASM becomes more mature). But even as is, I believe the numbers are within 2x - 4x of what can be achieved with a native C implementation.

The library is still very new, and there are a bunch of things to fix and improve (see the issues in the repo). So, would appreciate any feedback, help, and support.

5 Likes

Cool! There is some overlap between the features here and what websnark does. I see this is written in Assemblyscript, it would be interesting to compare the benchmarks against websnark.

I’m very interested in a binary field implementation, as it’s something we’d like to benchmark in wasm. We have lots of example applications using prime fields (elliptic curves and SNARKs/pairings etc.), including the STARK implementations using prime fields (genSTARK, and even the starkDEX solidity code), all of which can be ported/compiled to wasm (e.g. this scout STARK example). But we can’t find a STARK implementation using binary fields, and so the performance of binary field arithmetic in wasm is an open question for us.

Thanks! Would love to benchmark this against other implementations - but not sure how to benchmark modular arithmetic ops with websnarks.

As for binary fields - I’ve stubbed it out here, but a workable implementation is probably some time away. I’d like to first stabilize the overall architecture using the prime field implementation (that’s probably another 1 or 2 iterations away). But once the interfaces stabilize, it should be fairly straightforward to plug in a binary field implementation into the existing structure.