How can we decentralize intents?

tldr; intents are hot right now, but no one has idea what it is and how to decentralize it, we will focus on that

What are Intents?

Plain and simple, intents are nothing but predicates/conditions. User/dapp submits their “conditions” to a “computer” called solver. Solver understand these conditions and uses this constraints to design a transaction which will pass all of these “conditions”. Ordering of conditions matter here.

Hurdles in decentralising them

Some major hurdles

• Usage of LLMs to process natural language to Intent
  • Lack of proper structure for intents
  • Current solver design
  • Closed pools of intents
  • Auction Layer

Usage of LLMs to process natural language to Intent

LLMs like ChatGPT or Langchain are heavily used by recent projects to convert natural language to their internal structured intent, it will be very hard to decentralize this part, so we can leave this upto the dApps and users

Lack of proper structure for intents

Any system that is trying to be decentralized has faced this issue, if all of the nodes(computers) in a network don’t agree on a structure(s), then they can efficiently communicate between each other and this might lead to dangerous behaviour.

A proper structure for intents is required for it to be decentralized, this is the main part of decentralizing intents. But how can we structurized intents?

Structure For Intents

What are the important parts that define a intent from any other type of data structure?

• Conditions
    • User’s intent
    • will be a dictionary
  • Pre conditions
    • this should be true before solver tries solving the intent
    • for example - i want to swap 100 ETH only if price of ETH > 100$ and fees should be lowest
    • here, want to swap 100 ETH & fees should be lowest is condition and ETH > 100$ is pre condition
    • will be a dict

Conditions are checked at runtime while solving the intent and Pre conditions are checked before even solving the intent

Intents will be a very open ended structure, so we can’t really encapsulate every type of intent in a single structure, so we will have to go multi-structure with conditions and pre-conditions

We will have types of intents like swap-<some unique hash> , it can define its own types of conditions and pre-conditions, something like this

SCENARIO -->
A user who wants to swap 100 MATIC (POL) -> USDC (ETH), only wants slippage up to 1% and should at least receive 100 USDC for 100 MATIC, current price 1 MATIC -> 0.99 USDC

CONDITIONS -->
amountIn - 100
tokenIn - MATIC (POL)
tokenOut - USDC (ETH)
slippage - 1%

PRE-CONDITIONS -->
usdcPrice - >= 1 MATIC
maticPrice - >= 1 USDC

TYPE: swap-<some unique hash>

Likewise there can be an intent type for payments

SCENARIO -->
A user wants to send 100$ of ETH to vitalik.eth

CONDITIONS -->
tokenIn - ETH
amountInToken - null
amountInDollar - 100
receiver - vitalik.eth
sender - someone.eth
tokenOut - null
amountOutToken - null
amountOutDollar - null

PRE-CONDITIONS -->

TYPE - payments-<some unique hash>

Closed Pool of Intents

Current Intent implementations are all centralized and so are their mempools, each application has their own storage for storing intents which only their solvers can access, limiting the decentralization and generic nature of the whole ecosystem

We need open mempools which supports various types of above intents and any solver can run or connect to a mempool and start solving them

Open Mempool

A open mempool is needed for intents if we want to promote decentralization.

Operators running this mempool will be able to define what type of intents they want to support for storage or they can store every type of intent, its upto the operator, we did this because some operators might only want to run mempool supporting their custom types, so that any solver can solve them.

Mempool can also connect to a P2P gossip network to gossip received intents with other mempools, this will probably be a libp2p or waku implementation in practice.

Mempool will usually be run alongside solver, so solver can get fast access to intents they care about.

Current Solver Design

Solver’s are vital part of intents, they solve an intent by calling some APIs or contracts and build transaction(s) for it which can be executed by the user

These solvers are currently centralized and support only handful of types of intents, we can take this structure and make it pretty decentralized.

New Solver Design

Solvers can run a mempool or can connect with some open mempool, it will subscribe to certain types of events which it supports like with above case, a solver can subscribe to swap-<some unique hash> and it will then receive a stream of these events.

If a solver supports an intent type, meaning that they can also solve that intent, then it will subscribe to their pre-conditions by some internal logic and then try to solve the intent based on conditions, the implementation of how to solve the intent can be decided by the developer but at the end of it we should receive transaction(s) or userops which can executed by the user

Auction Layer

Currently, no intent implementation uses an decentralized auction layer to settle bids between multiple solvers, CoW Swap does but its closed and centralized.

What are some good auction layers that are decentralized and as well as usable enough?

• Existing Blockchains (Ethereum, Polygon, L2s, etc)
  • New Blockchain (OP Stack or any other kind of rollup or L1 like SUAVE)

In short, the answer is blockchain, now it is upto the builder where they want to have their auction layer but because of our type based architecture, there can multiple auction layer supporting various types of intent types on various blockchain.

Once everything is done, intent is added to mempool, its solved by a solver, user has accepted a bid on auction layer, they can directly receive their built transaction in their wallet as a notification which they can approve using Pull Payments

In my previous post, I was discussing about Cross chain CoW Swap and while building that, I thought to myself, this can generalized for any type of intent that we want, and then I wrote this post, now back to code!

Would love to have a healthy discussion here and understand the possible flaws in this system!

6 Likes

Couple of questions, but first, great read!

Question 1) What kind of economic incentive design do you think will give solvers enough skin in the game to execute tx, but also not exploit via fees.

Question 2) With what you have proposed as a structurized intent, is there no EIP/ERC that encompasses this? If not, are you considering proposing one?

Question 3) In your proposed flow, the user accepts a bid and executes that tx. In practice, it is more likely that the user delegates this to whichever application they are using, correct?

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Allow me to introduce myself as I’m new to this community. I’ve been an active member of the Celo community for several years and have recently been involved with mentolabs.xyz. My background is in financial engineering and mathematical finance.

I must say, this is a fantastic post! It resonates with my own thoughts, which have been brewing for some time. However, I’ve been approaching this topic from a slightly different angle. I’ve been exploring the repercussions of eliminating intermediaries from market structures, and what I’ve concluded is that market efficiency can suffer as a consequence. This breakdown in efficiency can lead to a lack of trust within the market. This is particularly evident in the case of stablecoin markets, with the exception of USDT and USDC for example, which openly employ centralized intermediaries to enhance market efficiency. (Of course, stablecoins have also faced trust issues stemming from other events.)

In my view, the solution lies in the concept of ‘decentralized intermediaries.’

A decentralised intermediary is a hybrid entity designed to bridge the gap between the on-chain world and real-world systems. It logs and verifies off- chain events on-chain, enables on-chain compatibility, and allows for community/protocol governance of its services. Through rewards/penalties and exclusion, it ensures the commitment of service providers.

Here’s a slide that illustrates a broker setup as a ‘decentralized intermediary’:

This concept is derived from a recent talk I delivered, which you can watch here: Evaluating Stablecoin Distribution Infrastructure.

Looking forward to engaging in insightful discussions with all of you!

2 Likes
  1. its only fees till now, you can’t have a PoS network (you can but doesn’t make sense), it will forever be a proof of work kind of race, where anyone who is in the gossip network can try to solve the intent, incentive will be based on fees and user will choose greedily choose the solved intent

2. there is no current EIP for this but a lot of groups are working on it

3. yes, solver can execute the tx and then do the auction process