Optimised handling of proposer and attester signatures

TLDR: We suggest an optimised block header design for proposer and attester signatures. The simple consensus-level definition makes best use of BLS aggregation without obstructing a network-level optimisation eliminating a roundtrip.

Construction

We require proposers to be attesters for their own proposals. The consensus-level definition of the block B_i in a shard (or the beacon chain) is B_i=[U_i, A_i] where:

• Unsigned proposal: The “unsigned proposal” U_i contains neither proposer nor attester signatures.
  • Aggregate attestation: The “aggregate attestation” A_i is the BLS aggregation of “attestations” of U_i, i.e. attester signatures of U_i.

At period i the network-level protocol goes as follows:

1. the proposer aggregates previously gossiped attestations for U_{i-1} to construct A_{i-1}
  2. the proposer gossips [U_i, A_{i-1}, P_i] where P_i is the proposer signature of U_i
  3. attesters verify A_{i-1} and P_i (against U_{i-1} and U_i respectively) and gossip their attestation of U_i

Discussion

Notice the consensus-level definition of a block only has a single BLS signature (optimally verified with 2 pairings). It also does not “mix” components from different periods, i.e. the aggregate attestation A_i is for U_i, not U_{i-1}.

Additionally, the network-level protocol is optimal in the sense that the proposer (and the attesters) gossip a single message. This is thanks to the network-level optimisation where the proposer includes the aggregate attestation of the previous unsigned proposal in his gossip message.

So basically, the attestations are on the unsigned data, and not the signed data, and this allows attestations and the original signature to be on the same data so they can be easily aggregated, and so we might as well just have one aggregate sig with one attester set, and just require the last bit in the bitfield to be a 1 (metaphorically speaking; no need for it to actually go into the bitfield).

Makes sense :slight_smile: