Reconsider EIP-86

This is a (probably stupid) idea that I thought of. There are probably a million reasons why this is a really bad idea, but I can’t think of any. Hence, I’m posting it here.

UPDATE: This proposal is extremely similar to EIP-86. In fact, it’s nearly identical. My original proposal is below for posterity, but if it’s a good idea then EIP-86 should be resurrected.

Assumptionless Ethereum

As I see it, there are four main invariants of Ethereum that don’t have to do with the EVM. The first is the existence of ether (i.e. the coin), which is the basis for economic incentives that power the EVM. As such, it’s necessary. The other essential invariant is the per-block gas limit, which ensures that Ethereum doesn’t grow too large.

I argue that the other two invariants, however, are not necessary and can be phased out safely. Those are hardcoded gas costs and authentication. Gas costs (as opposed to gas limits), for the purposes of this discussion, are the hardcoded burning of ether by using opcodes and the hardcoded priority fee of EIP-1559. Authentication is the invariant that all transactions originate from EOA accounts that use ECDSA key pairs, and that any transaction that is unsigned is invalid.

Economic incentives to create a perfect generalized MEV extractor mean that, at some point in the near future, an open-source generalized MEV extractor will appear. If this occurs, I show that a mechanism can be designed to replicate the existing functionalities of gas costs and EOAs. Note that this entire proposal hinges on this. This solution WILL NOT WORK until this idealized MEV extractor exists. As such, this is a very long-term proposal.

Turning EOAs Into Contract Accounts

The Issue With EOAs

You know why EOAs are bad. If you’re looking for a discussion of why EOAs are bad, look elsewhere. If you really want me to provide sources, then you’re lucky that you have never lost a seed phrase or had it stolen. There are plenty of people that have. Ask them about it.

Two New Opcodes: APPROVE and DENY

In order to make this system work, two opcodes are introduced: APPROVE and DENY. If a transaction reverts, any state changes made before the APPROVE or DENY are NOT reverted. APPROVE sets msg.sender to the current contract, or reverts if msg.sender is already set. DENY reverts with an error stating a lack of authorization.

Using Ethereum Without An EOA Entrypoint

Since Ethereum is turing-complete, one could simulate an EOA with functions that either DENY on an invalid signature or APPROVE and CALL the respective function. All EOAs could be replaced with that implementation, and new EOAs are forbidden.

Running Transactions Without A Guarantee Of Sucess

If you’re a validator, you might be worried about DoS attacks. What if someone spams a bunch of transactions that use up a lot of processing power before they end up reverting? An idealized MEV bot still can’t solve the halting problem!

Well, the answer is simple. Any state changes executed before the APPROVE or DENY stay in effect even if the transition ends up reverting. As long as the amount that’s paid in MEV is greater than the cost of computation, the computation continues. Otherwise, give up and find a new transaction.

One might make the argument that checking if you’ve been paid enough is nontrivial. However, it’s as trivial as gas costs, except not fixed to certain amounts. And a small amount of compute time (not much more than is already needed to validate ECDSA signatures) can safely be allotted without the risk of a DoS attack, as evidenced by the fact that submitting many invalid ECDSA signatures has never resulted in a DoS attack.

Using Ethereum Without An Account

The fact that you have to have an account to create an account might appear to be an issue: anybody should be able to receive Ethereum without first having some. So how can you solve this problem?

Very easily. Just have a payable contract that stores ether to a designated ECDSA “account” (not actual account), and authenticate with any ECDSA key with enough balance to either pay a real account, ECDSA account, or make a new contract account. This allows anybody without an account to accept and use Ethereum.

Turning Gas Costs Into MEV’

Note that this proposes removing gas costs, not per-block gas limits. Per-block gas limits, for the foreseeable future, are essential.

The Priority Fee

The EIP-1559 priority fee is nice from the point of view of a MEV extractor: built into the protocol is a near guarantee that you will receive a certain amount of Ethereum.

I argue that the only opcode that is necessary to replace EIP-1559 priority fees is an opcode that unconditionally transfers an amount of ether to a given account (I’ll call it PAY)–similar to CALL, but without actually calling a function. To functionally replace EIP-1559, all that is needed is to add the following to the entry point described in replacing EOAs with Contract Accounts.

contract BasicContractAccount {
    // Some other functions

function someEntrypointFunction(bytes someParameter, uint256 priorityFee) {
 .      // Do Authentication Stuff
        block.coinbase.pay(pritorityFee); // No more EIP-1559
        // APPROVE or DENY
        // Do the entrypoint stuff
    }
}

The Opcode Costs

Most opcodes consume gas in the form of ether. This is because it is assumed that all validators have to run the code, and computation costs money!

However, as discussed in the “Running Transactions Without A Guarantee Of Sucess” section, one can replace this with MEV to convince validators that it’s worth including their transaction.

Note again that the per-block opcode limit will remain untouched.

Conclusion

With three new opcodes, gas costs and EOAs can be removed.

Interesting post: it’s a small point, but I’m not sure if gas costs and gas limits are both fundamental: metering to prevent DoS is certainly fundamental to how we experience blockchains today, though even within this there are subtleties over different forms of DoS.

For an intriguing article on Bitcoin without a blocksize limit, see: A Transaction Fee Market Exists Without a Block Size Limit

As far as I know nobody has extended this model or considered it with GHOST or fixed blocktimes (via PoS).

Also note that both gas costs and gas limits impact state bloat and sync times, but sync times can be split into “sync from genesis on a particular device” and “once in sync, stay in sync on a particular device”.

I agree wholeheartedly that if there’s a safe way to remove gas limits, they should be removed. However, some sort of metering is necessary somewhere, and I have yet to figure out how to make it work in the context of MEV.

Maybe a difficulty-type system such that validators can choose to increase the gas of an opcode (for the purposes of gas limits) by 2.5%, keep it the same, or decrease it by 2.5%, and some sort of schelling scheme to reward honest opcode pricing? I’m not sure how it would work though, as the per-opcode computational cost isn’t a single value, so two honest validators could choose to increase and decrease the cost of validating.

Perhaps removing the 12-second block time, and instead using that per-opcode difficulty-type system to keep the gas values correct could work?

Anyway, any system to replace the gas limit would be nontrivial and outside the scope of this proposal, which aims to be as simple as possible.

Looks like my proposal is almost identical to EIP-86: Proposed initial abstraction changes for Metropolis · Issue #86 · ethereum/EIPs · GitHub.

That is traditional account abstraction, and much ink has been spilled on it. There is some much more recent work and analysis on it floating around somewhere, I forget what the hard edges it ran into were.

Sam also pointed me to EIP-2938. I am unable to find any record of the hard edges on ethresearch, ethereum magicians, or the EIPs repository. I’ll see if I can make a set of more modern EIPs to introduce the features listed here.