Unbiasable randomness with O(n^2) network overhead, safety under 34% honest and liveness under 67% honeset without BLS signatures and VDFs

Hi, we’ve been recently doing some research on distributed randomness, want to share a RandHound-influenced protocol that has the properties from the title, would appreciate feedback.

(EDIT: the description below is fully rewritten based on some offline feedback)
(EDIT2: more formal latexified version can be found here: https://www.overleaf.com/read/pcrtmwpxvnkb)

n participants to do the following:

1. Each participant j generates vector r[j] of size k = n*2/3 where each element is a 256 bit random numbers, erasure codes them to have a vector s[j] of size n with n shares such that any k shares can reconstruct the chosen k numbers, and encodes each of the n shares with the public key of one of the partipants to get a vector es[j] of size n.
    They then publish es[j]. Here it’s important that nobody can recover r[j] by just observing es[j]

2. Participants reach a consensus on a set S of at least k published es's.

3. Each participant i publishes decoded row of es[{S}][i]. Once k participants published the rows, everybody can reconstruct the r[{S}].
    I now want participants for each j for which r[j] was sucessfully reconstructed to be able to reproduce the es[j] and confirm that it matches the published es[j]. If it matches, then all the participants were able to reconstruct r[j], no matter what shares they observed. If a participant failed to reconstruct the erasure code or it didn’t match the es[j], then all the paritcipants either failed to reconstruct it or reconstructed something that doesn’t match es[j].

4. Let S’ be the subset of S for which the r was reconstructed. The output of the randomness beacon is the some function of the r[{S'}]

Here there are some requirements to the public key ecnryption:

1. Encryption needs to be determenistic, so that reconstructed es in step 3 matches the published es in step 1.
  2. If some es[j][i] is gibberish (i.e. doesn’t decrypt or decrypts into something that is not equal to es[j][i] after re-encrypting), it should be possible to prove it.

Seems like ElGamal in which the step y=random() is replaced with y=hash(input) works for (1) above, and Chaum-Pedersen proof works for (2) if a malicious actor still used some y that was not equal to y=hash(input).

Comparison to other schemes:

• This approach is naturally inferior to RANDAO+VDFs in that it has worse liveness and safety requirements, but VDFs have the known issues with the necessity to build ASICs (or fear that someone else will).
  • It appears to be as good as threshold signatures (except that it requires n^2 network instead of n for threshold signatures IIRC) without requiring the expensive DKG step.
  • Compared to RANDAO it is unbiasable
  • Compared to RandShare it has lower complexity, compared to RandHound it is significantly simpler.

Feedback is appreciated.

4 Likes

@JustinDrake pointed out offline that he published something that has the same properties last year: