Unions through DAO: Initial Thoughts

This is all conjecture so I would love some pushback if there are obvious holes:

Recently Amazon workers voted to not unionize in Alabama and it got me thinking. Union membership levels are at all time lows and maybe have different reasons for that. My theory is simple the current concept of unions are inefficient and outdate.

Maybe if a union worked similar to DAO it would be more efficient and therefore more appealing. It may not work for established union sectors such as education and manufacturing but this might be the way tech employees organize and unionize.

Please share your thoughts.

3 Likes

this is why i care about web3. its why i am interested in web3. web2 was calamitous for worker power, accelerating trends that were already underway. viz. bezos.

if DAOs have anything to offer unions, we have to grab them in their infancy and push their evolution toward worker power. the institutions currently controlling web3’s future are not worker focused.

wish us luck

It’s a super interesting idea. I agree that unions are falling out of favor in the U.S. I’m not an expert with unions, but I’d be interested to see how they would file in a given state, e.g., DAO LLC. Typically, I take a legally conservative approach. By this, I mean assessing the dynamic environment of a given industry/market—further consideration of sentimental values is also needed. Every state should have specific needs, and I say this concerning nursing unions and their variability for success across the country.

Anyway, Wyoming has become the first to pass DAO-focused Bill 38 into law.

Worth reading if you decide to pursue the topic further:

You are absolutely right about this and here is how it would work:

No one ever had to register bitcoin as money. They could “ban” a worldwide union, but they can’t stop money from being sent to people on strike if dao members vote to send money (eth) to a specific group of members on strike.

Here is how this would work in practice:
Rather than uniting all Walmart workers at individual store locations, A certain number of Walmart workers join the dao anonymously. If 20% of Walmart workers, peppered throughout Walmarts all over the world walk off the job and are supported through dao money (all members pay dues to the dao’s treasury on a schedule, as governed by code), Walmart is screwed. Staff shortages peppered throughout the globe will make them lose lots and lots of money unless an agreement is made for the treatment of all Walmart employees, even the ones who are not members of the dao.

This dao can spread to any worker on earth who wants to join this worldwide “union” (it’s not a union). Now workers in small business can go on strike if the dao votes for it, and receive money from other dao members.

The dao would work like Reddit when it comes to strike proposals. Reasonable proposals get upvoted. With enough votes, these proposals to go on strike will either reach a threshold of votes or they won’t. The dao automatically sends an agreed upon amount of money for those on strike.

There you have it. A single union for all workers in all industries to support each other. A decentralized union. It can definitely work, someone just needs to get the ball rolling.