Zkp for better password securite in web2.0

Intro

When i go to a website I need to sign in and the most popular way is to use a password.

This sucks because the password gets passed to the server which can see it in the clear. The server then hashes it with salt and then looks up the data base and sees if that password matches.

Ideally we would switch to using some kind of signature based login. But that seems like its going to take some time.

if (hash(password, salt) is in password_database):
    login()
else:
    pass 

This sucks because the server gets the clear text password.

Why not do the hashing on the users side

A naive solution is to send the hash(password, salt) to the server. But the problem is that the hashed password becomes the new password.

Use snarks to prove possession of the password.

We create a snark proof that checks

public hash(password, salt)
    public hash(password, blockhash)

The server checks the snark proofs is correct and that hash(password, salt) is in its password database.

if (hash(password, salt) is in password_database and snark.is_valid()):
     login()
else:
    pass 

Conclusion

Now the server does not need to ever see the users password and can still allow them to login. Previous logins cannot be replayed because we use an block hash as randomness.

We could maybe use this to make ETH brain wallets. But I am really worried about dictionary attacks as the salt will be public. Would need to check with someone who understands this more to see the kind of password that cannot be brute forced.

2 Likes

Why use SNARKs when you can use stuff like PAKE and its variants, unless I’m mistaken about what PAKE does?

2 Likes

In web2.0 it’s perfectly fine to have interactive protocols, so the server can send a challenge for a user to sign, and store user’s pubkey. Or derive any similar mechanism according to our needs. Using zkSnarks seems to be an overkill here.

1 Like

In web2.0 it’s perfectly fine to have interactive protocols, so the server can send a challenge for a user to sign, and store user’s pubkey. Or derive any similar mechanism according to our needs. Using zkSnarks seems to be an overkill here.

I agree this is better and PAKE would be an example of such a protocol.

server client like md5 hash>