AirScript: language for defining zk-STARKs

I’ve just released a new version of the library (v0.5.4) which has a bunch of speed and some proof size optimizations. The updated benchmarks are here, but at the high level, proof sizes went down a lot without impacting proof generation time. For example, a STARK for a Merkle proof of depth 16 (using Rescue hash function) is now ~63 KB and still takes about 1 second to generate.

To reduce the proof size, here is what I’ve done:

• Increased extension (or blow-up) factor from 8x to 16x, and reduced query counts to 48 for the execution trace tree, and to 24 for FRI proof trees. If I’ve done my math correctly, the resulting proofs have security level around 96 bits.
  • In FRI proofs, packed all 4 elements of a single “row” into a single Merkle leaf (in the original code, each “row” element was put into a separate leaf). As far as I can tell, this doesn’t affect security, and I think StarkWare guys are doing the same thing (based on “FRI Layer Skipping” section from here).
  • I have not yet added proof-of-work to Merkle roots. Doing so, will increase the security level to ~120 bits.

Proof size can probably be reduced further by 10% - 20% by implementing DEEP-FRI, and maybe even more if the approach I described in the previous post works.

To improve proof generation time, here is what I’ve done:

• Used latest version of Galois library. This improved speed of arithmetic operations in 128-bit fields by 8x - 9x.
  • Implemented Blake2s hash function in WebAssembly. For small inputs (e.g. 32 - 64 bytes) it came out to be 4x faster than Node’s native implementation.
  • Used a smaller domain for constraint evaluation. For example, if extension factor is 16x and constraint degree is 3, the constraints are evaluated in the domain that is 4x of the execution trace, and then the result is extended to the full 16x domain.

The performance is now approaching the limits of what can be done in a single thread - so, one of the future steps would be to update the library to make use of multi-threading.

1 Like