Full Implementation of Proof of Solvency for CEX based on Customized IOP

Background

Hi all, we have been studying Proof of Solvency (PoSol) since last month for our centralized exchange (CEX), relying on ZK-SNARKs but not third party auditing. Inspired by the nice post written by @vbuterin, we decided to refind it and draft a tentative instance of a customized IOP implementation of PoSol mentioned in the post.

hash(username, salt) is an exclusive tag to each user, construct a vector filled with all users’ tags and commit it, which means each user’s position slot has been confirmed. Similarly we construct a balances vector, where all elements are listed in the order of tag vector. (We think saperately committing is better than combining them into a single vector, as CEXs usually own millions of even billions of users, forcing us to minimize the vector’s length to fit size of FFT domain).

After CEX has submitted a validated total balance with Tag Commitment and Balance Commitment on blockchain, user can calculate and verify his own balance by himself under a KZG polynomial commitment scheme. with given position value, salt, tag proof and balance proof from CEX.

Circuit

Consider \mathbb{F} a finite field of prime order. For a given integer n (n should be greater than number of users), denote by N=\left \{0,1,...,n-1 \right \}. Define the multiplicative subgroup H=\left \{ 1,\omega ,\omega^2,...,\omega^{n-1} \right \} as the subgroup containing the n roots of unity in \mathbb{F}, where \omega is a n-th root of unity and a generator of H.

Define T={\left \{ t_0,t_1,t_2,...,t_{n-1} \right \}} as users’ tags vector of size n. (use zeros to take up remaining slots). Define B=\left \{b_0,b_1,b_2,...,b_{n-1}\right \} as users’ balances vector of size n. (use zeros to take up remaining slots).

Consider S=\left \{s_0,s_1,s_2,...,s_{n-1}\right \} as an auxiliary vector. Shift left one unit for each element of S in loop, we get S'=\left \{s_1,s_2,...,s_{n-1},s_0 \right \}. Define a constant vector L_0=\left \{ 1,0,...,0 \right \}. Note that if we force S'-S=B-m\cdot L_0 at the vector level, whatever elements in S are, it must satisfy m=\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}b_i, which is the balance sum that we want to declare.

Now we can construct an instance S=\left \{\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}b_i,b_0,b_0+b_1,...,\sum_{i=0}^{n-2}b_i\right \}, which satisfys S'-S=B-m\cdot L_0. That’s an entrypoint for us to build a PoSol proving scheme.

Polynomial Format

Denote by f(X)\in\mathbb{F}_{\le l}[X] that degree of polynomial f(X) over \mathbb{F} is no more than l. Define the i-th Lagrange polynomial L_i(X)\in\mathbb{F}_{\le n}[X], where i \in N. Define vanishing polynomial Z_H(X)=\prod_{i=0}^{n-1}(X-\omega^i)=X^n-1.

Transform T, B and S to polynomials by inverse FFT over H, we got T(X), B(X) and S(X), and S' corresponds to S(\omega X). Moreover, consider the first Lagrange polynomial L_0(X), which has the property of taking value 1 at x=1 while taking value 0 at any other elements in H. According to the above discussion, we have a polynomial equation at all elements in H:

S(\omega X)-S(X)=B(X)-m\cdot L_0(X), \ X\in H

We can write this more reasonably as a polynomial division format:

Z_H(X) \ | \ S(\omega X)-S(X)-B(X)+m\cdot L_0(X)

Range Constraint

The CEX could set remaining elements in B negtive (because no one can check these special padding balances) to reduce the declared balance sum m and be evil. That’s why vitalik says there needs a non-negative proof. Hereby we give a brief introduction to an elegant solution for continuous ranges proposed in Plookup protocol.

Define t=\left\{0,1,2,...,n-1\right\} as a lookup-table vector. Suppose each balance is less than n (If balance exceeds n, we can split into multiple n-decimal representations for repeating), then we just need to prove each element in B can be found in t.

Let V=\left \{v_0,v_1,...,v_{2n-1} \right\} be the vector that combines (B, t) and sorted by t. Denote by h_1=\left \{v_0,v_1,...,v_{n-1}\right\} and h_2=\left \{v_n,v_{n+1},...,v_{2n-1}\right\}. h_1 and h_2 can be constrained as following:

• Elements in both h_1 and h_2 must increase step by either 0 or 1.

• The first value in h_1 must be 0.

• The last value in h_1 must be n-1.

• The first value in h_2 substract the last value in h_1 must be either 0 or 1.

Then we just need to prove all elements in B and t are completely as same as those in h_1 and h_2, while using a permutation constraint mentioned in Plookup.

Protocol

With the above preparation work, we describe a similar protocol based on KZG commitment referred to the Plonk protocol creation process.

Common Referenced String

n \\ \left \{[1]_1, [X]_1, [X^2]_1, ..., [X^{n+2}]_1 \right \},\ [X]_2 \\ t=\left \{0,1,2,...,n-1\right\} \\ \left[t(X)\right]_1

Proving Process

We use transcript for obtaining random challenges via Fiat-Shamir. Initialize transcript with n.

Round 0

• Compute tags polynomial commitment [T(X)]_1.

• Compute balances sum of all users in field \mathbb{F}, denote by m \in \mathbb{F} as a public input. Append it into transcript.

Round 1

• Generate random blinding scalars a_0,a_1,...,a_4 \in \mathbb{F}.

• Compute blinded balance representation polynomial B(X) \in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+1}[X], \ i<k:

B(X)=(a_1X+a_0)Z_H(X)+\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}b_iL_i(X)
  • Compute blinded auxilary polynomial S(X) \in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+2}[X]:
S(X)=(a_4X^2+a_3X+a_2)Z_H(X)+\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}s_iL_i(X)
  • Compute [B(X)]_1 and [S(X)]_1. Append them into transcript.

Round 2

• Generate random blinding scalars c_0,c_1,...,c_5 \in \mathbb{F}. Compute blinded polynomials h_1(X) \in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+2}[X], h_2(X) \in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+2}[X]:
h_1(X)=(c_2X^2+c_1X+c_0)Z_H(X)+\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}v_iL_i(X) \\ h_2(X)=(c_5X^2+c_4X+c_3)Z_H(X)+\sum_{i=n}^{2n-1}v_iL_i(X)
  • Compute h_1(X) and h_2(X). Append them into transcript.

Round 3

• Compute the permutation challenge \gamma \in \mathbb{F}.
\gamma=\mathrm{Hash(transcript)}
  • Generate random blinding scalars d_0,d_1,d_2 \in \mathbb{F}. Compute permutation polynomial z(X) \in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+2}[X]:
\begin{aligned} z(X)=&(d_2X^2+d_1X+d_0)Z_H(X)+L_0(X) \\ &+\sum_{i=0}^{n-2}L_{i+1}(X)\prod_{j=0}^{i}\frac{(\gamma+b_j)(\gamma+t_j)}{(\gamma + v_j)(\gamma + v_{n+j})} \end{aligned}
  • Compute [z(X)]_1. Append it into transcript.

Round 4

• Compute the quotient challenge \delta \in \mathbb{F}.
\delta=\mathrm{Hash(transcript)}
  • Combine all of the polynomial constrains and compute the quotient polynomial q(X) \in \mathbb{F}_{\le 2n+6}[X]:
q(X)=\frac{1}{Z_H(X)} \left( \begin{aligned} &S(\omega X)-S(X)+mL_0(X)-B(X) \\ &+z(X)(\gamma+B(X))(\gamma+t(X))\delta \\ &-z(\omega X)(\gamma + h_1(X))(\gamma + h_2(X))\delta \\ &+\left(z(X)-1\right)L_0(X)\delta^2 \\ &+\left(h_1(\omega X)-h_1(X)\right)\left(h_1(\omega X)-h_1(X)-1\right)(L_{n-1}(X)-1)\delta^3 \\ &+\left(h_2(\omega X)-h_2(X)\right)\left(h_2(\omega X)-h_2(X)-1\right)(L_{n-1}(X)-1)\delta^4 \\ &+\left(h_2(\omega X)-h_1(X)\right)\left(h_2(\omega X)-h_1(X)-1\right)L_{n-1}(X)\delta^5 \\ &+h_1(X)L_0(X)\delta^6 \\ &+\left(h_2(X)-n+1\right)L_{n-1}(X)\delta^7 \end{aligned} \right)
  • Split q(X) into 2 polynomials q_0'(X)\in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+2}[X], q_1'(X)\in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+3}[X], such that
q(X)=q_0'(X)+X^{n+3}q_1'(X)
  • Generate random blinding scalars e_0 \in \mathbb{F}. Computed blinded polynomials q_0(X), q_1(X):
\begin{aligned} q_0(X)&=q_0'(X)+e_0X^{n+3} \\ q_1(X)&=q_1'(X)-e_0 \end{aligned}
  • Compute [q_0(X)]_1 and [q_1(X)]_1. Append them into transcript.

Round 5

• Generate the evaluation challenge z \in \mathbb{F}.
z=\mathrm{Hash(transcript)}
  • Compute the opening evaluations and append them into transcript:
B(z),t(z),h_1(z),h_2(z) \\ S(\omega z),z(\omega z),h_1(\omega z),h_2(\omega z)

Round 6

• Generate opening challenge \eta \in \mathbb{F}.
\eta=\mathrm{Hash(transcript)}
  • Compute linearization polynomial r(X)\in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+3}[X]:
\begin{aligned} r(X)=&S(\omega z)-S(X)+mL_0(z)-B(X) \\ &+z(X)(\gamma+B(z))(\gamma+t(z))\delta \\ &-z(\omega z)(\gamma + h_1(z))(\gamma + h_2(X))\delta \\ &+\left(z(X)-1\right)L_0(z)\delta^2 \\ &+\left(h_1(\omega z)-h_1(X)\right)\left(h_1(\omega z)-h_1(z)-1\right)(L_{n-1}(z)-1)\delta^3 \\ &+\left(h_2(\omega z)-h_2(X)\right)\left(h_2(\omega z)-h_2(z)-1\right)(L_{n-1}(z)-1)\delta^4 \\ &+\left(h_2(\omega z)-h_1(X)\right)\left(h_2(\omega z)-h_1(z)-1\right)L_{n-1}(z)\delta^5 \\ &+h_1(X)L_0(z)\delta^6 \\ &+\left(h_2(X)-n+1\right)L_{n-1}(z)\delta^7 \\ &-Z_H(z)\left (q_0(X)+z^{n+3}q_1(X) \right) \end{aligned}
  • Compute the opening proof polynomial W_z(X)\in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+2}[X]
W_z(X)=\frac{1}{X-z} \left( \begin{aligned} &r(X) \\ &+\eta\left(B(X)-B(z)\right) \\ &+\eta^2\left(t(X)-t(z)\right) \\ &+\eta^3\left(h_1(X)-h_1(z)\right) \\ &+\eta^4\left(h_2(X)-h_2(z)\right) \end{aligned} \right)
  • Compute the opening proof polynomial W_{\omega z}(X)\in \mathbb{F}_{\le n+2}[X]
W_{\omega z}(X)=\frac{1}{X-\omega z} \left( \begin{aligned} &S(X)-S(\omega z) \\ &+\eta\left(z(X)-z(\omega z)\right) \\ &+\eta^2\left(h_1(X)-h_1(\omega z)\right) \\ &+\eta^3\left(h_2(X)-h_2(\omega z)\right) \end{aligned} \right)
  • Compute [W_z(X)]_1 and [W_{\omega z}(X)]_1.

Now we have the complete proof:

\pi_{PoSol}=\left \{ \begin{matrix} [B(X)]_1,[S(X)]_1 \\ [z(X)]_1,[h_1(X)]_1,[h_2(X)]_1 \\ [q_0(X)]_1,[q_1(X)]_1 \\ [W_z(X)]_1,[W_{\omega z}(X)]_1 \\ B(z),t(z),h_1(z),h_2(z) \\ S(\omega z),\ z(\omega z),\ h_1(\omega z),\ h_2(\omega z) \end{matrix} \right \}

Send both the public input m and the proof \pi_{PoSol} to the verifier.

Verifying Process

Verify

• Validate m and all elements in \pi_{PoSol} are valid.

• Compute challenges \delta,\ z,\ \eta \in \mathbb{F} via transcript as in the prover’s algorithm description, with m and elements in \pi_{PoSol}.

• Compute the vanishing polynomial evaluation Z_H(z)=z^n-1.

• Compute the first Lagrange polynomial evaluation L_0(z)=\frac{z^n - 1}{n(z - 1)}.

• Compute the last Lagrange polynomial evaluation L_{n-1}(z)=\frac{\omega^{n-1}(z^n - 1)}{n(z - \omega^{n-1})}.

• Compute the first evaluation p:

\begin{aligned} p=&S(\omega z)+mL_0(z)-z(\omega z)(\gamma+h_1(z))\gamma\delta-L_0(z)\delta^2 \\ &+h_1(\omega z)\left(h_1(\omega z)-h_1(z)-1\right)(L_{n-1}(z)-1)\delta^3 \\ &+h_2(\omega z)\left(h_2(\omega z)-h_2(z)-1\right)(L_{n-1}(z)-1)\delta^4 \\ &+h_2(\omega z)\left(h_2(\omega z)-h_1(z)-1\right)L_{n-1}(z)\delta^5 \\ &+(1-n)L_{n-1}(z)\delta^7 \\ &-\eta B(z)-\eta^2t(z)-\eta^3h_1(z)-\eta^4h_2(z) \end{aligned}
  • Compute the first commitments combination [P]_1:
\begin{aligned} \ [P]_1=&-[S(X)]_1 \\ &+(\eta-1)\cdot[B(X)]_1 \\ &+\left((\gamma+B(z))(\gamma+t(z))\delta+L_0(z)\delta^2\right)\cdot[z(X)]_1 \\ &+\eta^2\cdot[t(X)]_1 \\ &+\left( \begin{aligned} &-\left(h_1(\omega z)-h_1(z)-1\right)(L_{n-1}(z)-1)\delta^3 \\ &-\left(h_2(\omega z)-h_1(z)-1\right)L_{n-1}(z)\delta^5 \\ &+L_0(z)\delta^6 \\ &+\eta^3 \end{aligned} \right)\cdot[h_1(X)]_1 \\ &+\left( \begin{aligned} &-z(\omega z)(\gamma + h_1(z)) \\ &-\left(h_2(\omega z)-h_2(z)-1\right)(L_{n-1}(z)-1)\delta^4 \\ &+L_{n-1}(z)\delta^7 \\ &+\eta^4 \end{aligned} \right)\cdot[h_2(X)]_1 \\ &-Z_H(z)\cdot[q_0(X)]_1 \\ &-z^{n+3}Z_H(z)\cdot[q_1(X)]_1 \\ \end{aligned}
  • Compute the second evaluation u:
u=-S(\omega z)-z(\omega z)\eta-h_1(\omega z)\eta^2-h_2(\omega z)\eta^3
  • Compute the second commitments combination [U]_1:
[U]_1=[S(X)]_1+\eta\cdot[z(X)]_1+\eta^2\cdot[h_1(X)]_1+\eta^3\cdot[h_2(X)]_2
  • Verify KZG opening proof by pairing engine e([\bullet]_1,[\bullet]_2):
\begin{aligned} e([W_z(x)]_1,[x]_2)&\overset{?}{=}e([P]_1+p\cdot[1]_1+z\cdot[W_z(x)]_1,[1]_2) \\ e([W_{\omega z}(x)]_1,[x]_2)&\overset{?}{=}e([U]_1+u\cdot[1]_1+\omega z\cdot[W_{\omega z}(x)]_1,[1]_2) \end{aligned}

Remark

Confined to limitations of our understanding on cryptography and ZKSNARK, if there are any mistakens or defects, please point out or give us some suggestions.

If there are no bugs in the protocol, we will open source as soon as possible, thanks!

1 Like

How would you compare your implementation to SNARKed Merkle Sum Tree: A Practical Proof-of-Solvency Protocol based on Vitalik's Proposal in terms of efficiency and privacy?

I think there are 2 major advantages:

1. Faster proof generation. This post raised a point that IOP system is not efficient. But actually customized or specific system is usually more efficiently than a genetric system, right? The IOP proving scheme above is more simple (less proof data & less polynomial committing & less FFT computation) than plonk, which is the base scheme that SNARKed Merkle Sum builds on. In addition, hash algorithm (even poseidon) also needs extra constraints, and there is no hash circuit in the IOP scheme.
  2. Verify on chain. Causes the minimalist design of IOP scheme, CEX can submit snark proof on ethereum(2 paring check & less scalarMul computation). User can also verify his balance on ethereum(2 paring check) and be convinced that CEX does not cheat. That’s more detrusted, isn’t it?

For privacy, the IOP scheme has add zero knowlege as same as plonk, meaning that it avoids privacy leakage.

Remark

Replace bit-range constraints with Plookup permutation.

Here is an alternative range constraint that seems more efficient (for prover and similar for verifier): A Simple Range Proof From Polynomial Commitments - HackMD

Thanks for your suggestion! In this approach it seems just prove the range constraints for a single value z with an individual polynomial g(X) while we need to prove for each user. On the other hand, bit range contraints does not save domain size. E.g, if max bits of each user’s balance is 32 and max domain size is N, then there only lefts a capacity of N/32 for users.

Yes, the given protocol is for a single value (e.g., one user’s balance). In this case, you are given two polynomials: one that is commitment to the balance, stored at index 1 (i.e., P(1)) of the polynomial. The second is only used to prove the range, which is a kind of accumulator over the bits of the number, similar to the accumulator used in Plonk for proving two vectors have the same product.

Since you can throw away the second polynomial after checking the range, I don’t think it has any impact on the domain of the first polynomial, but I admit to not fully understanding your point.

In any case, I think there are multiple solutions here and it would be interesting to try a few and compare them so everyone can understand each design decision and its impact on making the IOP optimal is space and time. In particular, the trade-off in having a commitment per account balance versus one polynomial that represents all balances (e.g., running sumcheck over it).